WHAT IS ITIL?
The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) is a comprehensible and consistent set of best practices for the processes of service management that promotes a quality approach to reach effectiveness and efficiency in the usage of IT.
It is not about a doctrine or a rigid norm, as it is usually considered. Even though ITIL incorporates guidelines on a common set of best practices, each implementation of ITIL is different and can change, depending on the organization needs.
Besides, it describes all the activities of IT (organized in areas of process) necessary to direct the provisioning and support of IT quality services.
These days ITIL is much more than a set of international standards. It has generated a worldwide industry that includes Training, Consultancy, Certification, Software tools and Trade Association (itSMF).
When implementing ITIL and the best practices, the organizations can expect to obtain the following benefits:
ITIL model is made up of two big areas: Service Delivery, oriented to plan and deliver services of IT quality, base upon which construct businesses value; and Service Support, that searches to support and maintain the IT services on a daily basis, and focus the IT activities in a strategic value for the business.
The aim is to improve the service through the implementation of a cycle of quality as a basis.
- Improve the quality and level of the service, increasing the satisfaction of the client.
- Generate a closer line up between the TI Services and the processes with the business requirements, expectations and goals.
- More conscience of the TI support personnel on the business processes and their impact.
- Significant reduction of the managing and support costs that generate a lower TI Total Cost of Ownership.
- Improves the availability of the service and its performance, increasing the business profitability.
ITIL is oriented to produce the necessary integration to generate productive synergies between the main actors of a company: the people, the processes and technology.